Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cooking Blog

<span class=



My idea of sustainable living is knowing how to live in a way that doesn’t affect the earth in any way. The reason why I think that we’re planting these edible herbs is because it relates to the book that we’ve been reading in class, called My Ishmael. The book explains how we became a “taker” society when the human race started to keep the food under lock and key and people had to start to work harder in order to eat and survive. Not only are we living more sustainable because were staying away from the job market in a way that won’t kill us, but we’re also growing things that we can eat so we can stay away from foods that contain chemicals ingredients that we cant even pronounce. This relates to our essential questions because by growing out own herbs and eating what we plant, we will live more sustainable and maybe if people see that we plant herbs they will start to do it also. We will also be more healthy since we know what we are putting in out bodies.

After weeks of watering and trying to learn as much as we could about out herbs we got to try to think of something that we could do with our plants so we could use them in a sustainable way. We then had to freedom to decide how it was we were going to use our herbs. When we had a couple of recipe ideas we were then able to get right to work on cooking with them. We cut the leafs off of our herbs (in my case they were lemons basil leaves, so we would be cooking with the leaves) and put them in a damp paper towel so we could take them home to cook. Lulu and I had the same herbs so we decided to make a video together. We wanted to make something simple, but out of the ordinary so we decided to make lemon basil lemonade. The recipe was very simple. All it asked for was to start of with a regular lemonade recipe and we the recipe added on the basil in a way that was quite simple. It asked to mash the sugar and the basil together which actually worked out well and then mix together the rest of the ingredients.


In the end I cant really say that I loved it because that would be a lie, but it wasn’t bad. Lulu seemed to like it so I guess it might have tasted good to some people. It needed more sugar, but we managed to fix that. If I could do it again, I probably would just try to make the video more professional and ask for help when it came to how to make a video that doesn’t look really bad when it comes to quality. Planting and cooking with herbs has definitely inspired me to have my own garden and plant my own carrots since I love them so much and I eat them all the time. At least if I plant my own I’ll know for sure there are no preservatives or chemicals in my food.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the video, it is pretty funny. it also interesting how you made basil lemonade; i never heard of that and i would like to taste it.

James A. said...

Marlene! When I first saw your post, I thought you were making an alcoholic drink, or some sort of marinating juice. After I watched your video though, I saw that you were making basil lemonade and it kept me watching. I think that was a really cool recipe to choose! How did it taste? Good job, my sistah.

Brandy said...

The picture of the lemonade looked good.But the mashed up herbs didn't look as appetizing. I like the video idea, i just didn't have enough time. One day I want to try that lemonade, it seems interesting.

Little Livy said...

That looks so good! I love how funny your video was you showed us all how fun and cool cooking can be!

Giovanna said...

Hello tom! :) i loved your guys blog. I liked how you clearly explained the process of your herd food. It lookks good but yeah it needs more sugar jk.I liked that you guys had fun during the process and working together.I hope to make it myself and try it out.

niia G said...

oh jeez your basil lemonade looked like a margarita at first! ahah but it looks good(: you and lulu did a good job , you guys should be comedians

Gage said...

I never thought basil could be used in a drink before.