Monday, October 27, 2008

gates of fire

GofF Pictures, Images and Photos


“…Though I hesitated to use the word “slave” because my father was more in Brixies’ power than the other way round.”

After reading this I’m not so sure how it was they set up the ranking back in those days. This passage talks a lot about how Brixies was known as a person who “knew everything.” If he was as great as they say, then even though he may not have been born in a family with money, couldn’t he have reached a higher rank himself? It’s like a race issue. He didn’t choose to be born under such circumstances, it just happened, and no matter how great he was he was still going to be a slave. It’s very similar to issues brought up even in later centuries. To this day people are being discriminated against for something they can’t help.



“Numb reunions were held alongside or in copses, and news was traded of the dead and the soon to be dead.”
This passage really just sent a chill down my spine. It was really deep and the words just struck me. It really just makes me wonder how they felt during that time. It just seems like to me that because of how common deaths were in those days people weren’t affected that much by it. The picture painted by the author in this chapter sort of reminds me of a scene in a book I read called “Because of Romek” which was set during World War II. There was a chapter where he walks out of his refuge spot and everywhere he turns he sees a dead body or parts and blood spread al over his surroundings.



“They say that ghosts sometimes, those that cannot let go if their bond to the living, linger and haunt the scenes of their days under the sun, hovering like substance less birds of carrion, refusing Hades’ command to retire beneath the earth”

I think that the main thing that got my attention about this was the superstitions that they had even then. I think the author was just trying to add a little bit of history. Letting is know a little bit more about the people and their beliefs. I knew that myths like that have been around for so long and it just makes me think about how much more believable those stories might have been in those days then now a days. Mainly because of other things they believed such as their gods and goddesses. It also makes me wonder if they really truly believed in this stuff, and what they believed happened to us after death.

1 comment:

Ms. Charlotte said...

I know what you mean. It's so hard to imagine what it's like to be a refuge because of war.

Don't forget to put page numbers so we can find your quote!